Floor plan of the Musée
For more than a century, this building served as the Québec City jail. It is the work of the Québec architect Charles Baillairgé. It has been a part of the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec since 1991. Some of its cells have been preserved as a document of nineteenth-century prison conditions.
Ancient and Modern Art
Sculpted ceilings, columns topped with capitals and noble materials: this pavilion’s neo-classical architecture is imposing. Designed by the architect Wilfrid Lacroix, it was inaugurated in 1933. The low reliefs on its façade were created by the sculptor Émile Brunet. Until 1991, this was the Musée’s sole building.
This transparent pavilion with its glass walls, granite facing and rooftop garden was inaugurated in 1991. Concept by Cyril Simard, design by Dorval et Fortin architectes. The hub of the Musée, it is the central point connecting the other pavilions.
This pavilion is designed by OMA New York (Shohei Shigematsu, architect) and Provencher-Roy et Associés, architects from Montreal. The building is a powerful architectural statement covered entirely in glass, providing great transparency and bathed in natural light.